The Scrum Master is accountable for the Scrum Team's effectiveness. They are tasked with making sure everyone understands Scrum theory and practice. The Scrum Master serves the team by:
- Coaching the Developers (anybody working on the sprint increment), Product Owner, and Organization on ways to enhance performance
- Facilitating the Scrum Events effectively and repeatedly
- Protecting the Scrum Team from interruptions
- Making work visible to the Scrum Team and stakeholders
- Creating process improvements to ensure continuous improvement.
Scrum Masters are leaders who serve not managers. The Scrum Master does whatever it takes to help the team succeed and get better. The Scrum Master is accountable for the Velocity and the Continuous Improvement of the Team.
Upon completion you will:
Scrum Master Overview:
The Scrum Master accelerates the Team's Velocity by:
- Removing impediments
- Surfacing and implementing process improvements
- Ensuring the Team understands and adheres to best Scrum practices
- Facilitating the Scrum events and making sure they are positive, productive, and kept within the
- Coaching the Team to self-organize and self-manage
- Making sure the Team is cross-functional
- Keeping the Team focused on the Sprint Goal and Product goal
- Assisting the Product Owner to refine a ready backlog
- Finding techniques for effective Product Goal definition and Product Backlog management
- Facilitating Stakeholder collaboration as requested or needed
- Representing the Team to the rest of the organization
- Protecting the Team from interruptions
- Keeping Team morale high
Qualities of a Good Scrum Master
Persistent people achieve success by continuing forward even when things are difficult.
Driven people are self-motivated and push themselves hard to achieve what they want.
People with a strong sense of service are constantly looking for ways to serve and help.
Good Listeners are able to listen intently to what people say and help people feel heard.
Catalysts motivate and inspire others to make things happen.
Enablers create the conditions for people to grow and develop for themselves.
Courageous people don’t let their fears dictate their actions.
Patterns & Papers
The Scrum Pattern Language of Programming codifies well known Agile practices that have been successfully implemented many times.