Product Backlog Items (PBI)
Product Backlog Items (PBIs) are the elements that make up the Product Backlog.
Estimated time for this course: 5 minutes
Suggested Prerequisites: Scrum Framework
Upon Completion you will:
- Know what kinds of items can be found in a Backlog
- Have a checklist for creating a Product Backlog Item
Product Backlog Item Overview:
- Description: What the goal of the PBI is.
- Value: the Business Value of the PBI as determined by the Product Owner.
- Estimate: the Team needs to estimate the relative effort it will take to move the PBI to Done.
- Order: The Product Owner needs to prioritize PBIs by their relative value.
Together these qualities make up the Definition of Ready. Having a ready Backlog can double a Team's Velocity. Ideally, PBIs reflect the needs of customers or stakeholders. A common way to incorporate the end users' needs is to write the PBI in the form of a User Story.
Learn Scrum Online
Scrum Startup for Teams is the best way to learn Scrum online. The curriculum and content was developed in collaboration with the co-creator of Scrum, Dr. Jeff Sutherland. Learn the fundamentals of Scrum in empirically-based lessons informed by the latest research and real-world experience. This is online training from the source.