Product Backlog Items (PBI)
Product Backlog Items (PBIs) are the elements that make up the Product Backlog.
Estimated time for this course: 5 minutes
Suggested Prerequisites: Scrum Framework
Upon Completion you will:
- Know what kinds of items can be found in a Backlog
- Have a checklist for creating a Product Backlog Item
Product Backlog Item Overview:
- Description: What the goal of the PBI is.
- Value: the Business Value of the PBI as determined by the Product Owner.
- Estimate: the Team needs to estimate the relative effort it will take to move the PBI to Done.
- Order: The Product Owner needs to prioritize PBIs by their relative value.
Together these qualities make up the Definition of Ready. Having a ready Backlog can double a Team's Velocity. Ideally, PBIs reflect the needs of customers or stakeholders. A common way to incorporate the end users' needs is to write the PBI in the form of a User Story.
Explore ScrumLab Prime
Are you ready to advance your Scrum knowledge? Prime members enjoy unrestricted access to all our webinars and advanced Scrum topics.